Double Decker Experience!!!



A few days back I traveled from Chennai to Bangalore in the Double Decker express train. Right from the day the ticket was booked; I was looking forward for the journey. My excitement level was similar to that of a kid expecting a fun trip. The journey was a neutral one. It certainly did not live up to my expectation, but I would neither call it a bad one. Let me share with you a few pros and cons of the train.


I was praying to get a seat in the upper deck, but to my disappointment, I got a seat in the lower deck. The train was definitely clean than most of the other trains I have traveled. It was clean both inside and out. The seating arrangements are very similar to that of a normal Chair Car. Three seats on one side, and two seats on the other side. After you get inside the train there are about two rows of seats in the middle level. Then you have steps that navigate to both the upper deck and the lower deck.

I found my seat, which was near the window to my delight. Firstly, the rack on top of the seats were we stack our luggage was very small. As I had taken a medium sized suitcase, I found it difficult to keep my luggage. If you are going to have huge bags and other luggage, you will have to place in near your foot.


The seating and spacing was a little cramped compared to the other trains. After I settled in my window seat, I found the leg space was little less. The bottom horizontal edge of the train (i.e., the bottom line along the window seat) is designed in a way that it is curved more; as a result it looks like its pushing inwards. So, for all the passengers who get the cornet seat, you might find it difficult to stretch your leg.

Next, the air conditioning will not be great. If you are a person who has traveled a lot in Shadapthi express (it is a faster, costlier and more comfortable train), you might definitely find the cooling poor. Due to the fact the season is not so bad; the AC cooling level was OK. In peak summers, passengers might need more chilling during the travel.

The seats were very clean and comfortable. As far as the travel is concerned there is one thing to be noted. I am not sure of the upper deck experience, but in the lower deck if you get a window seat you might experience a small issue. The lower deck is as such is build at a very low level. So after you sit, your eye level will be just slightly higher than the station payment. And it will be a lot closer to the railway tracks than the usual. So when the train crosses stations in high speed, the payment might pass your eye sight very close to you in a high speed. This might make some people uncomfortable.


Apart from these, the train timings were accurate. I reached Bangalore on time, and the journey was good. Over all, on a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate it about 6. If you are a frequent traveler, you can opt for this train once in a while. You might enjoy it more if you get lucky with a seat in the upper deck.

Comments

  1. On my last trip to Goa, I was going through Bengaluru. I was very particular in booking in this train but my senior said the same thing you mentioned here. So opted Shatabthi. But will definitely try it once. Good detailed review.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Signs that you are in a good relationship!!

Wanderlust #01 – Phi Phi Islands and James Bond Islands - Phuket - Thailand

Life